City of Palos Heights Public Arts Commission met May 13.
Here is the minutes provided by the commission:
I. Call to Order: 7:10pm
A. Present: Maria DeCaprio-Sunta, Vanessa Sunta, Lynda Schiappa, & John Hanley
II. New Guest: Kathy Peters - Resident of Oak Hills - New applicant for PAC commissioner position Maria gave an overview of PAC mission and past history. Introduction and reviewed Kathy’s bio/resume. Discussed her interest of why she would like to join PAC
III. Approval of April Minutes: Motion by Lynda Schiappa, seconded by John Hanley. Motion carried.
IV. Old Business:
1. Maria will tape a PH Channel 4 promotional segment scheduled with Ron Janokowski for June 4th. Maria asked each commissioners to complete a canvas as an example for the segment and to display at distribution sites
2. Send and confirm graphics for cable ad on PH Channel 4 to Ron J. - Vanessa has been handling the past week and will confirm its ready to start running the last week of May
3. Reflections promo material - (1) standup poster, (1) hanging poster, (25) postcards and (50) canvases were distributed to each committee member and designated to location:
a) PH Library - Vanessa
b) Rec Center - Lynda
c) City Hall - John
d) Lake Katherine - Kathy
4. Vanessa will provide a coordinating graphic sign up sheet for each location with community member name, email, and number of canvases taken. PAC had a discussion of whether to begin a quarterly or bi-annual newsletter to the distribution list we gather from this project to keep them updated on project progress. Vanessa will begin and look into the set up and maintenance.
5. John will contact Regional Newspaper regarding an article or promotional ad for the project and report back on costs and sizes.
V. Sculpture Placement
A. Discussion on a new proposed location by Maria outside the city hall building facing College Drive. Further discussion on both visibility and safety of the sculpture. Vanessa suggested the corner where College Drive and 76th meet. Lynda, John and Kathy will look at the location and we will make a decision by this Wednesday. More discussion on whether the sculpture is viewed better from walking or driving and how it will interact with the community
B. Matthew Placeck, sculptor, has scheduled delivery the week of 5.20.19. Final location is to be decided by PAC and Maria will notify Public Works.
VI. Cal-Sag Project: Lynda has no update
VII. Approval of Bills:
A. John Hanley motion to approved a bill submitted from A Plus Graphics in Lake Geneva, WI for $95.39 for Reflections regular/standup posters. V. Sunta seconded. Motion carried.
B. John Hanley motioned to approve bill from Vistaprint for $72.50 for Reflections postcards. L. Schiappa seconded. Motion carried.
VIII. New Business - Sculpture Unveiling:
A. Discussion and approval by committee for formal unvieling. It will be scheduled for June 15th to coincide with Music in the Park series. Brief comments will be made and donors invited. Maria will contact Architectural Bronze to submit a proof to fabricate a bronze plaque. It will match the rest of the PH sculpture plaques. Discussion to have a give-away token piece - Vanessa will design a bookmark to commemorate the new piece. Also, we are sending out 50 personal invites to community members from PAC to invite to ribbon ceremony.
IX. Public Comment: None
X. Miscellaneous: None
A. Kathy Peters decided she will be joining the commission and will take the next steps necessary to join. Maria notified Margaret Carey, secretary to Mayor, and formal procedure will be followed.
XI. Meeting adjourned: 8:29 pm