Little Co. of Mary Hospital issued the following announcement on Dec. 13.
Instead of waiting for the New Year to identify the one big resolution you plan to tackle in revamping your health, why not chip away at those goals one day at a time? By starting now, you’ll be healthier and feel better than ever by the time others are beginning to try and fulfill their New Year’s resolutions.
Daily resolutions for a healthier life
Here are simple ideas that add up and that you can do every day. Maybe you’ll want to consider a more gradual integration of these solutions into your life. For instance, choose one thing from the list every day the first week, then assess where to go from there. In no time, these healthy habits can become second nature.
- Park as far away in the parking lot from your destination as possible and walk the rest of the way.
- Substitute an unhealthy snack break for a “carrot” break instead.
- Get a kitchen scale and weigh out your portion sizes for one day.
- Before you eat something, drink a full glass of water.
- Set your alarm 10 minutes earlier and start the day with stretches, sit-ups or calisthenics.
- Watch your favorite TV shows atop a yoga ball or while working out.
- Try a fruit or vegetable you’ve never tried before.
- Be smoke free and avoid breathing in other people’s secondhand smoke. Think you are ready to quit? Call 1.800.QUIT.NOW for free counseling
- Browse your grocery store’s health food aisle and look for healthier options.
- Write your exercise time on your calendar and don’t allow anything to take its place.
- Go to the library and check out a healthy cookbook that catches your eye.
- When you call a friend, do it on your cell phone and take a walk while you do it.
- Add vegetables to something you like already, like a pasta dish.
- Try reduced-fat versions of cheese, meat or condiments.
- If you slip up and do something unhealthy today, forgive yourself and try something else tomorrow!